OX6:Open-Xchange 620 622 Update Guide for SLES11
- 1 Update of Open-Xchange Server v6.20 to v6.22 on Debian GNU/Linux 6.0
- 2 Supported update path
- 3 Requirements
- 4 Update Open-Xchange Repositories
- 5 Updating repositories and update packages
- 6 Install additional language packages if necessary
- 7 Adjusting runlevel configuration
- 8 Restart Open-Xchange
- 9 Leftover configuration files and runtime data
Update of Open-Xchange Server v6.20 to v6.22 on Debian GNU/Linux 6.0
This article will guide you through the update of an existing Open-Xchange Server 6 installation to the newest major release, v6.22.
Supported update path
Please note that the update to v6.22 is only supported from an installed version 6.20.7 or later. If you have an earlier version of Open-Xchange Server 6 installed, please update to the latest release of v6.20 before attempting an update to v6.22.
The latest v6.20 release will remain accessible on our servers. If you need to access the repository after the release of v6.22, please use the following lines in your
apt repository configuration to access v6.20 packages:
TODO: add SLES11 repo information for 6.20 through the 6.20 links
- An Open-Xchange Server installation v6.20.7 or later. This update guide is valid for a system installed through our TODO: Link to SLES11 update guide
- If you have custom packages done by Open-Xchange, please discuss with your Open-Xchange contact when these packages are available for 6.22. Do not attempt the update earlier
- If you have built custom packages yourself which install config files in the OX config tree, please check the page v6.22 Packaging Changes
- If you have custom plugins written by yourself which depend on Open-Xchange Server OSGI bundles, check the pages v6.22 Packaging Changes and v6.22 Necessary Code Changes for changes you might need to do.
- Custom packages built for 6.20.7 or earlier might not work with 6.22.
- As for every update we strongly recommend that you make a backup of your system(s) before you proceed.
Update Open-Xchange Repositories
Add the following repositories to your
apt configuration to access the v6.22 packages:
TODO: add SLES11 repo information for 6.22 frontend and backend repos and update repos
Please note that frontend and backend packages are now provided from two different repositories. Depending on your setup and the packages installed on the specific system you're updating it is possible that you only need one of these repositories. All packages providing
open-xchange-admin functionality are included in the
Updating repositories and update packages
Reload the package index:
Download and update all installed packages:
Install additional language packages if necessary
Starting with v6.22 the localization files for German, French and British English are no longer part of the core packages. This change was necessary to allow customers to uninstall these languages when they are not needed. If you want to offer German, French and/or British English to your customers as language option, you need to install the corresponding packages after the update.
$ TODO open-xchange-l10n-de-de open-xchange-gui-l10n-de-de
$ TODO open-xchange-l10n-fr-fr open-xchange-gui-l10n-fr-fr
For British English:
$TODO open-xchange-l10n-en-gb open-xchange-gui-l10n-en-gb
Adjusting runlevel configuration
Starting with v6.22 there are no longer two separate process, but only one,
open-xchange. Therefore, the runlevel configuration needs to be adjusted:
$ insserv -r open-xchange-groupware $ insserv -r open-xchange-admin $ insserv open-xchange
NOTE: Admin functionality is only available if the package
open-xchange-admin is installed. If you are updating a system without admin packages installed it still won't have admin functionality after the update.
To restart Open-Xchange Server after the update, run
$ rcopen-xchange restart
This script will check on startup if the old processes for
open-xchange-admin are running, and stops them if they are. You might still want to check with
$ ps aux | grep open-xchange
that there is now only one process running Open-Xchange Server.
Leftover configuration files and runtime data
After the update you may see leftover configuration files and runtime data below
Some of these files belong to packages which have been uninstalled during the update, they are marked with the status
rc in the output of
dpkg -l. You can remove these packages with the command
$ dpkg --purge <packagename>
Other orphaned files may be runtime data or temporary files which do not belong to any package and therefore couldn't be removed during the package update.
Finally, there may be backup files created by the package manager during earlier updates.
It is safe to remove:
- All files and subdirectories below:
/opt/open-xchange/admindaemon /opt/open-xchange/etc/common /opt/open-xchange/etc/groupware
unless you have built your own packages which install files into these directories.
- All files ending in