The document describes a way how mailboxes can be migrated from MS Exchange to a cyrus IMAP server using imapsync without the need to know the users passwords
- admin account for cyrus
- the admin accounts for cyrus are defined in the parameter "admins:" in the configuration file "/etc/imapd.conf". IMAP login for that user must be possible. In this examples, the admin user name is "cyrus" and it's password "cpass".
- Microsoft Exchange 2003
- others might work, too. 2003 was the version this howto was written with.
- postmaster account for MS Exchange
- the exchange account for migration needs to have the rights to access all mailboxes on the Exchange server. In the examples the user name is "migration" with password "mpass". The user can be created following these steps:
- create a new "DWORD" in "HKEY_Current_User\Software\ Microsoft\Exchange\ExAdmin" with the name "ShowSecurityPage" and set this to "1".
- open the Active Directory User and Computer console and create a new user with the name "migration", password "mpass" and a exchange account
- reopen the Exchange System Manger and give that new user full access to the entire mail organization (right click on the most upper entry naming your organization -> properties -> security -> add)
Testing the admin users
Those two sessions descibe a telnet session where a succesfull IMAP connections gets created and closed (cyrus is runnin on localhost and the Exchange server on 10.20.30.170)
# telnet localhost imap Trying 127.0.0.1... Connected to localhost (127.0.0.1). Escape character is '^]'. * OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4 IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ ID STARTTLS AUTH=LOGIN AUTH=PLAIN SASL-IR] servera Cyrus IMAP4 v2.3.7-Invoca-RPM-OX-2.3.7-3.OX server ready . login cyrus cpass . OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4 IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ ID LOGINDISABLED ACL RIGHTS=kxte QUOTA MAILBOX-REFERRALS NAMESPACE UIDPLUS NO_ATOMIC_RENAME UNSELECT CHILDREN MULTIAPPEND BINARY SORT SORT=MODSEQ THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT THREAD=REFERENCES ANNOTATEMORE CATENATE CONDSTORE IDLE LISTEXT LIST-SUBSCRIBED X-NETSCAPE URLAUTH] User logged in . logout * BYE LOGOUT received . OK Completed Connection closed by foreign host. #
# telnet 10.20.30.170 imap Trying 10.20.30.170... Connected to mastercane.open-xchange.com (10.20.30.170). Escape character is '^]'. * OK Der Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 IMAP4rev1-Server, Version 6.5.6944.0 (win2003.perf.open-xchange.local), steht zur Verf�gung. . login migration mpass . OK LOGIN completed. . logout * BYE Der Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 IMAP4rev1-Server, Version 6.5.6944.0, meldet sich ab. . OK LOGOUT completed. Connection closed by foreign host. #