- 1 Open-Xchange Contacts synchronization with CardDAV
Open-Xchange Contacts synchronization with CardDAV
This site describes how the Open-Xchange server can be accessed via its CardDAV interface after the server has been configured as described in Caldav_carddav_Bundles. Depending on the used client software, different steps are necessary. Other clients may be configured similarly, but are not officially supported.
Mac OS X Address Book / Contacts
Available since Open-Xchange Server v6.20.1
Depending on the used Mac OS X version, slightly different steps are necessary.
Mac OS X Address Book (for version 10.6 Snow Leopard)
Mac OS X Address Book (for version 10.7 Lion) / Mac OS X Contacts (for version 10.8 Mountain Lion)
You can enable a Debug Menu inside the Address Book application which gives you access to advanced debugging and logging options. Please notice that some of these options may increase the size of the log files of your system and/or could also log sensitive data like passwords if enabled. Keep also in mind that any setting changed here will remain active until the setting itself will be reverted or changed again which means that disabling the Debug Menu itself is not sufficient to reset any debug settings to their defaults. All settings are case sensitive.
Open a terminal window (Applications > Utilities > Terminal) and issue the following command for
- enabling the Debug Menu in the AddressBook:
defaults write com.apple.AddressBook ABShowDebugMenu -bool true
- disabling the Debug Menu in the AddressBook:
defaults write com.apple.AddressBook ABShowDebugMenu -bool false
PLEASE NOTE:: The debug menu is not available in Mac OS X 10.8.
Available since Open-Xchange Server v6.22
The iOS Contacts application on the iPhone, iPod or iPad can be configured as follows.
PLEASE NOTE: For our product Open-Xchange Advanced Server Edition and Server Edition for UCS it isn't necessary to use "dav".
Please consider the following known limitations for the CardDAV interface:
- Generally, only those contact properties that are also available on the Open-Xchange server are used for synchronization, i.e. all unsupported properties are ignored and not saved.
- Importing or exporting file attachments (property "ATTACH") is not supported via the CardDAV interface.
- Due to various different handlings of representing distribution list members in vCards, distribution lists are excluded from syncrhonization via CardDAV.